Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Light Bathroom Reading Material

I decided to make some nice copies of the paper I published for my Masters degree. For those of you that don't know, in May 2008 I gave a talk and presented my paper, "Algorithms of the Chinese Remainder Theorem." This is the same paper in which the 75-word abstract elicited the comment from my brother, "Thanks, now I'm sterile."

Well, I don't know exactly what I was expecting from the people I sent it to. I did get the typical comments about how it was all Greek to them (har har), and that it was a bit 'too much'. I wasn't writing for 'them' as my audience anyhow, but I figured those that had supported me in my field should get a copy.

Fast forward to a few days ago, my uncle Bob was visiting. I'd sent him a copy in May, and had never heard anything. We were sitting next to eachother on the couch at my dad's house and he turned to me and said, "Algorithms of the Chinese Remainder Theorem, huh?" It appeared that, indeed, he -had- received the copy. He further went on to say that he had put it in his bathroom, as one of those 'I'll read it when I'm on the pot' type materials. He said, "Since that's been in there, I've had the quickest trips to the bathroom of my life."

Reminds me of the comment I received last week from a friend who saw an old copy of the Journal of the Korean Mathematical Society on my bathroom floor.

No comments: