Thursday, March 8, 2007

Is that...?? No... Can't be...

20 minutes prior to the Rise Against/My Chemical Romance show...

Elise and I are sitting down in the ultra-comfy chairs of section 105 at the Orleans Arena...

Inevitably someone needs to go crotch-to-crotch with me--the act of passing by patrons that are too tall to just inch their way past my looming kneecaps. The gentleman in question was taller than me. His date? Pretty miniscule. (The fact that she was a high-school student explains quite a bit). She passed without problem.

I looked to my right to see the now-seated couple, sitting just past Elise.

My thought process was as follows: Is that? Could it be? Hmm... I've only seen him once, but... That looks like a student of my MATH 120 class... A student that showed up on day 1, only to get the syllabus, required documents to be signed and returned (and as of yet, haven't been), and then never to be seen again... Until tonight.

Hmm...

I told Elise. She wondered if she should ask, and I said no--I wasn't sure. How could I be? I pull my phone out and log on to the university's web grading system, giving me access to student phone numbers. I dial the number and wait--he's got a music "wait for me to answer" ringtone. If it's not him, I'm calling a student at about 8:30pm, and about to leave a message or talk to someone with an awful lot of ambient noise. If it's him, I've got to keep from laughing.

It happens. He leans to one side, with the grace of a building, and pulls his phone out--staring in dismay at the number. I've never called him with my cell phone. I have, however, called him from my office. He does not recognize the number--I prepare to talk to voicemail, but he ANSWERS. Awesome. Elise turns to me, eyes wide open, knowing what's about to happen--a huge smile makes its way to her lips.

Student: Hello?
Me: Hey, CHRIS?
Student: Yeah?
Me: Your MATH 120 instructor is sitting three seats to your left.

I pressed the button to disconnect. The smirk began to grow on my face as I leaned forward, looking to my right, past Elise and Chris's date.

Dismay. Recognition. Shock. A crimson face to match the seat upholstery.

Funniest thing to ever happen to me at a concert. To top it off, the bands rocked too.

No comments: